A visual guide
First year is a hectic time for everyone. Moving to a new city, meeting tons of new people, and adjusting to a new academic environment can be overwhelming. As someone who did “aight” for herself in first year, it’s time for me to impart my very, very finite wisdom on people who are probably only a few months younger.
Here’s a short visual guide to help you navigate your first year. Good luck!
1. DO try new foods! University is a time for experimentation. Leave the white bread of your small town behind.
2. DO work in groups with new friends! This is a great way to connect with your classmates while also getting the most out of your education. Find your support networks and stick with ‘em!
3. DON’T try to make friends during Frosh Week by sniffing them. Sure, your dog can do it and sure, it’s super cute when he does, but no one is going to hang if all you wanna do is smell their sweaty Frosh Week armpits.
4. DO experiment with your look! It’s a new year, city, school, etc. Get the perm you’ve always wanted, shave your head if you wanna! It’s only questionable if you question it.
5. DON’T date someone who lives on your floor because you WILL break up and then your own home will stop being safe. Trust me on this one. Just TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.